IPA Research Team Biographies
Orla O'Donnell, MA (Econ) is a Research Officer at the Research Division of the Institute of Public Administration. Her primary work since joining the IPA in 1999 has been for the Committee for Public Management Research (see publications). Specifically in the public management area, this has included studies of e-government and organisational development, innovation, decentralisation, flexible working arrangements, policy development, quality management, accreditation schemes, evaluation studies of homelessness, management related topics (e.g. leadership), and consultancy surveys/projects on customer care issues and evaluation of flexible working arrangement schemes. Since 2001 she is a thesis supervisor for the MA in Healthcare Management and the MA in Public Management at the IPA. She is completing a Masters in Business Studies in Management and Organisation Studies at the Michael Smurfit School of Business at UCD. She completed a Masters in Economics at UCD in 1996 and also lectured Economics in the School of Business and Humanities at Sligo Institute of Technology from 1998-2001. Prior to joining the IPA, she was an Economic Research Officer for the Sligo-Omagh Partnership Body and carried out consultancy reports, economic/environmental impact studies, and published economic bulletins on local development issues.
Academic Conference Papers/Journals
- O'Donnell, Humpheys, P. and R. Boyle, (2006) "Channels of E-Delivery and Organisational
Innovation, Academic Underpinning," (March 2006), lecture and academic underpinning delivered
at the Manor House Hotel, Killadeas, Enniskillen to the a Senior Civil Service Cross-Border on the
MSc in Innovation Management in the Public Service being delivered by University of Ulster (Magee)
and Letterkenny Institute of Technology on behalf of the Government of Ireland and the First Minister
of Northern Ireland.
- O'Donnell, Boyle, and Timonen, (2003) "Transformational Aspects of E-Government in
Ireland: Issues to be Addressed", 3rd Conference on E-Government, Trinity College Dublin,
3rd-4th July, 2003. Published in Academic Book of Conference Papers and also published in First
Edition of the Electronic Journal of E-Government (EJEG) in September 2003 Editorial committee
member of the European Journal of E-Government (EJEG) set up by Professor Dan Remenyi (TCD) and
Frank Bannister (TCD).
- Timonen, O'Donnell, and Humphreys, (2002) "Implementing E-Government in Ireland:
Lessons Learned, Issues to be Addressed," 2nd Conference on E-Government, St. Catherine's
College, Oxford University, 1-2nd October, 2002. Published in Academic Book of Conference Papers.
- Timonen, O'Donnell, and Humphreys, (2003), Administration, Vol. 51, Nos.3 Autumn 2003,
"Implementing E-Government in Ireland: Issues & Challenges", Dublin:IPA.
- "E-revolution and Local Authorities in Ireland: Local Authority Good Practice in e-government
" (November, 2003) a talk given at IPA to a Visiting Delegation from the Economic and
Development Department and HR Department, Veijle Kommune, Denmark.
- Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment Customer Care Research multi-phase customer care
research consultancy(1999-2005) included reports and survey findings analysis on both external and
internal customer satisfaction.
- Boyle, Butler and O'Donnell (2000-2002) Evaluation of the Homeless Initiative 1999,2000,2001. A
consultancy that evaluated the homeless initiative over a number of years, an initiative that was
instigated by Dublin, Meath and Kildare County/City Councils with the voluntary agency providers.
- Humphreys, Fleming, and O'Donnell (2000), "Balancing Work and Family Life: The Role of Flexible
Working Arrangements", DSCFA: Dublin.
- Fleming and O'Donnell, (1999) "A Review of Flexitime & Time-in-lieu scheme" in Combat Poverty
- IPA Self-Study Report compiled by Pat Hall, prepared for submission to the National Council for
Educational Awards (May,1999), O'Donnell and Humphreys, Appendix G: Summary Report of Results of
Questionnaire survey: Current students and graduates analysis of survey findings: MS Excel analysis
& charts, Dublin:IPA
- (1998) Economic Bulletin on the Economy of County Sligo, Sligo: Scriptorium Publishers.
- (1996) The Impact and Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy on the Irish Economy, Unpublished M.A.
Thesis, University College Dublin.
IPA e-newsletter articles:
- "E-Government and Organisation Development: the story behind the headlines" with Richard
Boyle, May issue 2005.
- "The Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies" Vol 1 Issue 4 IPA e-newsletter,
Thursday, May 8, 2003.
- "E-Government and Decentralisation of Service Delivery" with Virpi Timonen and Peter
Humphreys, Volume 1, Issue 2 IPA e-newsletter, Wednesday 20th November, 2002.
IPA Phone No: 01 2403759